Sunday, March 14, 2010

Interim

In the midst of transition in a number of areas; becoming known for some steampunk jewelry pieces, wrapping up the decade of convention management with a few appearances and some advice to young conventions. I'm finding that while I'm over the worst of convention burnout, I'm not over the deepest of it. I want to be doing new and creative things while at convention, and the return of creativity is a nice thing, allowing me to make a guest appearance at AnimeLA, to discuss a web interview appearance to discuss advice for young con runners, and to try my hand at artist tables at conventions. On the other hand, I'm really over doing menial labor at conventions I love but am not contributing to in a meaningful way. I want to switch departments at the least at all the cons where I've worked for twenty years, and I am cutting my commitments even further than they were originally cut to make time for serious thought about my future and time for my art work. I don't know that the art is where I want to make a lasting mark either; there is pending writing work that has been back-burnered for fifteen years, and I need to sort out how much of it will be biographical, how much will be art, how much will be somewhere in between. I feel like I should write the hero's journey, but having dived and resurfaced numerous times I'm not sure there is a real stopping point to say "here, the journey is done" until I'm dead - at which point it is of course a little late to write. I'm making final decisions about whether to have children, adopt, or go without, and I need to turn some parts of my life inside out and move out the old to make room for the new whatever my ultimate decision. Part of all of this will be returning to this page now the hectic season is done and using the Spring and Summer for writing again. I've signed up for a criminal forensics course at DU starting the end of March and am looking forward to learning new things; something to take on in several areas of my life. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment